Kitchens are full of lots of materials that can be used to make magic potions. Have fun making your own magic.
1. Put a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in each bowl.
2. Add a drop of food colouring to each bowl.
3. Put the pipette in the vinegar and squeeze the top. You will see the vinegar sucked up into the pipette.
4. Put the pipette over a test tube and squeeze the top.
5. Wait for the magic reaction!
You will need: • test tubes and holders (if you don’t have these, a bowl will work well) • pipette (a teaspoon will work if you don’t have any) • teaspoon • food colouring (any colour is fine) • bicarbonate of soda • white vinegar
The science: Vinegar is an acid. When an acid mixes with a base such as bicarbonate of soda, they react and release a gas called carbon dioxide. This is what causes the fizz.