Read Write Inc. Policy
RWI Lessons at Westwood
Who takes part in Read Write Inc. lessons?
Children will begin their phonic journey in Nursery and continue through to Year 2. Some children, who have not yet unlocked the phonic code, will continue RWI lessons in Lower Key Stage 2.
When do the lessons take place?
RWI lessons will take place 5 times per week and will last for 45 minutes from Reception to Year 3.
How are Read Write Inc. lessons structured?
Every RWI lesson follows the same structure:
- Introduce a new sound
- Recap previously taught sounds
- Read words containing the new sound
- Recap words containing previously taught sounds
- Spelling words using new and previously taught sounds
- Reading red words
- Read story green words and speedy green words
- Read story
Where work is recorded
Children have their own workbooks for RWI and it is an expectation that work is recorded in their books every lesson. Children should always have the date and the sound that they are learning that day written in their books followed by the spellings they are doing.