Wellbeing at Westwood
Wellbeing at Westwood
‘Mental health is a state of well-being in which every individual realises his or her own potential, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to her or his own community.’
(World Health Organisation)
At Westwood, we aim to promote positive mental health for our whole school community, using whole school approaches alongside targeted and specific approaches for the more vulnerable. We believe that children should be equipped with the skills, knowledge and understanding to be able to make informed choices about the important things in their life. They should be able to dream, believe and achieve, where mental health and wellbeing should not be a barrier. We aim to create a loving and nurturing environment, removing any negative stigma around mental health and wellbeing. We strive to harbour a positive mental attitude, resulting in happy, confident, resilient individuals from their early years all the way through life.
In addition to promoting positive mental health and wellbeing, we aim to recognise and respond to mental ill health. By developing and implementing practical, relevant and effective mental health policies and procedures, we can promote a safe and stable environment for our whole school community affected both directly and indirectly by mental ill health.
At Westwood, we aim to promote positive mental health and wellbeing of every member of our school community and recognise how important mental health and wellbeing is to our lives, as is our physical health. We recognise that children’s mental health and overall wellbeing can affect their learning and achievement:
We aim to:
- Promote positive mental wellbeing in all pupils and staff.
- Increase understanding and awareness of common mental health issues and the impacts this may have on daily life.
- Alert staff to early warning signs of mental health.
- Provide support to staff working with pupils with mental health issues.
- Provide information for pupils and families about how to promote positive mental health.
- Reduce the stigma around mental health and wellbeing.
- Create a culture of understanding surrounding mental health to give the whole school community a safe and supporting environment in which to speak openly about any mental health issues.
Use this page to keep up to date with the wellbeing activities we complete in school, find out how you can support your child at home and for direction to additional support services.
Remember if you have any concerns about your child's mental health and wellbeing, please speak to your child's class teacher.
What our children think about well being at Westwood...